What infringes on your well-deserved free time? Cleaning and chores! Without a doubt, we would all be happier and in better moods if we could leave the work to a clone. But the next best thing to a clone is working a little smarter. Incorporate some of these smart tips for chores into your everyday routine, and you’ll be free to devote your time off to fun and relaxation.
Make these your daily chores
Every day, without fail, complete these basic chores. Once it’s a habit, you’ll stay well ahead of messes.
- Make the bed.
- Place dirty clothes and towels in the hamper and put away unworn items.
- Wipe down bathroom sinks and wet bathroom countertops.
- Clean up crumbs and spills off countertops and stoves.
- Load and unload the dishwasher and scrub any pots and pans.
- Do a walk through and pick up and put away any stray objects.
Then spread out the remaining chores
For the other days of the week, devote at least 20 minutes to some other chore in the house. (We predict you’ll knock these out in less time, once the habit is established.)
Method 1: Room a day:
Each day of the week, you can focus your cleaning efforts on one room at a time.
- Monday — Bathroom
Disinfect the toilet, spray and wipe down the shower, sink, faucets, countertops, and mirror, empty the wastebasket, check supplies, and sweep and mop the floor. Every month or so, wipe down the handles and light switches and dust the light fixture.
- Tuesday — Kitchen
Clean surfaces of appliances, sink, faucet, and countertops, clean out old food from the fridge, and sweep and mop the floor. Every month or so, wipe down the shelves in the fridge, and check the oven to see if it needs cleaning.
- Wednesday — Living room
Dust furniture, pick up and put away books and other loose items, and vacuum. Every few months, you’ll want to use your vacuum’s brush attachment to vacuum baseboards, upholstery, and vents.
- Thursday — Bedrooms
Change linens, put away books, clothing and other items left out and vacuum. Every few months, dust the ceiling fan and vacuum under the beds.
- Friday — Laundry and patio
Wipe down furniture with a damp cloth, check and water plants, put away loose items and sweep.
Method 2: Chore a day
If you like the idea of getting all the sweeping and dusting done in one fell swoop, this method may be the one for you.
- Monday — Dusting
- Tuesday — Spraying and cleaning windows, countertops and kitchen appliances
- Wednesday — Clean the fridge, clean up any clutter and paperwork
- Thursday — Clean bathroom sink, shower, and toilet
- Friday — Sweep, mop, vacuum
Now that you have a cleaning schedule in hand that cuts back on chore time, your weekends will be wide open for enjoying your free time and all the amenities we offer residents at Lewis Apartment Communities.